Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Friends: Weeding The Garden

In high school you were in a close setting of people going through "the same" stuff, and things in common were obvious- age, status, etc... Not so much in real life. Getting and staying saved can add a challenge to making & keeping friends.
My old friends wanted me to drink, party & stay out all night. "Have fun, indulge, You only live once" 
The thing was I no longer needed alcohol, adrenaline or sin to have fun. Indulgence to me became diving into my bible and reading about how much God loves me.
The common misconception of “YOLO” is lie set forth by the enemy. We don't live just once- we live twice & I don't want to die twice.
A physical death can be a reward, but spiritual death is eternal- that's scary!  
"Well how do you even know if heaven or hell even exist? Won't you feel pretty lame if you die and you wasted a lifetime of opportunities to do what you REALLY wanted to do?"
I rest assured that I will enojy the next life in my fathers arms, and it will be a life far better than this one. Faith is being certain of things you cannot see. Praise the Lord for my Faith, but for the sake of exploring lets ask this: What If when you die you to come face to face with the living God, a good who is loving and just, and you realize that your truly wasted a lifetime of opportunities to get right with him and now too late? What then?
Needles to say, many of my “friends” left, and that's a good thing. Bad company can break good habits. I was now a weirdo and a Jesus freak- and I was OK with it. I made friends with the girls in church, bible study, school of leadership & the Christian acquaintances I had previously ignored. You know the bible says when a person gets saved the angels party in heaven; these people rejoiced & celebrated me for getting on the right path. Now they embraced me as family. More than friends, I finally found what I always wanted: brothers and sisters, In Christ.

Outside of church however, it can be challenging to make and build friendships with people who don't share your beliefs. While we do have to go out of comfort zone and witness, the bible is clear as to whom we are suppose to fellowship with and who not to.
It's not that I won't be there for you if you need me, because I will. If there's nothing I can physically do for you, know that I will pray  for you. The problem is that I can't sit by with my hands tied and watch you happily hop your way to hell. You will find me annoying & judgmental for speaking up and hate me or you will tempt me to join you. Remember that I am human and have a sinful nature, I have to protect myself from my weaknesses. If you don't want to be saved with me, don't make me fall.

While it is hard to let go of people we've been through so much with, it is important that we weed our garden. We can plant seeds, we can water them, and God shine's his light- but not all people are called. We don't choose God, God chooses us, and he wants us all to himself. Don't compromise your salvation!!! Try, try & try- fast, pray & invite them to Jesus- but learn to recognize when to cut your loses. 

 Dare to love & be loved by God, not the world.


 1 Corinthians 15:33 Amplified Bible (AMP)
33 Do not be so deceived and misled! Evil companionships (communion, associations) corrupt and deprave good manners and morals and character.

2 Corinthians 6:14-18 The Message (MSG)
14-18 Don’t become partners with those who reject God. How can you make a partnership out of right and wrong? That’s not partnership; that’s war. Is light best friends with dark? Does Christ go strolling with the Devil? Do trust and mistrust hold hands? Who would think of setting up pagan idols in God’s holy Temple? But that is exactly what we are, each of us a temple in whom God lives. 
God himself put it this way:
“I’ll live in them, move into them;
    I’ll be their God and they’ll be my people.
So leave the corruption and compromise;    leave it for good,” says God.
“Don’t link up with those who will pollute you.
    I want you all for myself.

I’ll be a Father to you;
    you’ll be sons and daughters to me.”
The Word of the Master, God.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That was just what I needed to hear! I was so impressed and wanted to read more from the author and I look over to see who it is and was shocked to see it was you! You spoke right to my heart and lifted my spirits love! Thank you! I'm a Navy wife myself and need to find more friends that share the same beliefs as myself. Seems more and more of my "friends" are dragging me down with their atheist ways and slurs.

    ReplyDelete